Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Health Care Issue

Not to start any political debate, but I have been reading some stuff on the internet about the health care issue, and I don't understand how people believe that health care is not a right. I know that being a diabetic is not the worst of things. There are a lot of people that have it a lot harder than me. If I take care of myself, I can have a normal healthy life- when in other cases no matter what people do, they aren't as fortunate. But it just irritates me to hear people put up such a stink about health care reform and how health care should not be a right. Here's a quote from an article I just read:

" (quoting a representative)"I am committed to working with President Obama to pass comprehensive health care reform. High quality, patient-centered, affordable health care is the right of every American and the time to act on this mandate is now," Polis said.

No, health care is not a right. We have the rights to free speech, to keep and bear arms..."
-http://media.www.collegian.com/media/storage/paper864/news/2009/09/11/Opinion/Pros-And.Cons.For.Health.Care.Reform-3769142-page2.shtml

That's like somebody walking up to me and saying, "No. I'm sorry, you don't get your insulin. Your blood sugar will rise to dangerous heights, then you'll go in a coma, and eventually you'll die. Oh yeah, but you can have a gun instead because bearing arms is a right but living isn't."

I'm not a very politically smart person so I really don't know if the Obama plan is going to work- and I don't completely understand it, but I gotta say, at least someone is trying. At least someone is concerned about this issue.
It scares me that Brian doesn't have insurance and with him being in the artistic world we see people with out insurance all the time. Brian was setting up for a gig at a place that had a lower door frame with a sharp edge. He saw someone carrying in sound equipment walk into it and gash his forehead open. He hit it so hard that he fell back and he was bleeding a lot. The people around had asked him if they could take him to the emergency room or a doctor and he declined because he didn't have health insurance, so he kept on doing his job with a rag to his head.
There is something wrong when people can't go and take care of themselves in an emergency because they are afraid of not affording it. Somebody should do something about this.
I just wanted to record my thoughts.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Here, here! Like I said on facebook, my husband is a diabetic and we are going through the same thing. I agree that you should have the right to live, you put that very nicely.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, health care is messed up. We pay hundreds of dollars per month and hardly ever use our insurance, because it is still expensive with the deductibles and co-pays.

Moreover, I heard a story on the radio the other day about a family that had paid for health insurance their entire life and then were kicked off when they were in their fifties because they were too much of a risk.

Nathan wondered what would happen if he was hurt or had a serious illness and was unable to work. Because we get insurance through his work, we wouldn't have it when he needed it. We wouldn't be able to pay the premiums even if it was available.

It's ridiculous and so inhumane to say that only wealthy people deserve to get help when they are sick or injured. I knew a family who had just started there own business and had not gotten health insurance yet. Shortly after their son was seriously hurt in a football game and needed surgery. They abandoned there business so the dad could get a job with insurance, but the son had to wait an entire painful year before he could qualify for coverage and get the insurance needed.

Good post.

-Christina

Johnsons said...

Hi Kim!